July 27 - Bruges (Brussels), Belgium

We actually ported in Zeebrugge, Belgium today. And this is a port I've been to before. The last time I was here, in 2017, I went to Bruges and saw the sights.

This time I headed to Brussels. A bunch of my colleagues have been there, since we worked with NATO, and Brussels in the headquarters. So, I wanted to see for myself, why they like it so much. And I don't see why they liked it so much.

The first thing we saw was the Atomium. It was constructed for the 1958 World's Fair. The monument, built in the shape of a body-centered cubic iron crystal, was intended to honor the metal industry and celebrate the atomic age. Each of the metal spheres are 18 meters in diameter; the entire structure stand 102 meters tall.






Brussels itself was not overly impressive, more like any other city. 
However the Grand-Place was something to see. 

I only wish I was there in about 2 weeks time, because they have a flower carpet which takes up most of the plaza. I would come back to see it.

Other sights around town 


And of course there was chocolate to be had, but you knew that. Did you know Jean Neuhaus, a Swiss immigrant, opened the first store in the Galeries Royales Saint-Hubert in Brussels in 1857?




Suburb streets 


Residences
 
And then we had lunch


 Beers for the ride back to the ship.

Cool Structures







And this is what I saw when I went to the bathroom (after paying a euro)


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

December 13 - Cozemel - Chichen Itza